Considering how much I love to bake I hardly ever buy cookies at the store. My husband and I have always liked Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies but I can't honestly remember the last time we bought any. I usually keep us well supplied with other desserts :) Needless to say when I saw this recipe I couldn't believe we had gone all this time with out ever making Oatmeal Cream Pies! Even if you have a favorite oatmeal cookie recipe, PLEASE try this recipe out instead of just adding the cream filling to your usual oatmeal cookie. The cookie is exceptional! I never would have thought to add cocoa to my oatmeal cookies, but man am I glad I followed the recipe! My tummy can't wait to use this filling with all sorts of other cookies!
Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies Source: Big Mama's Home Kitchen
1 C flour
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, melted (I used regular salted butter)
1 tsp vanilla
1 C Old Fashioned Oats
1 C vegetable shortening
1 C + 4 tbsp powdered sugar
3 tsp vanilla
7.5 oz jar marshmallow cream
Make the cookies.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. *Don't skip this step! The cookies will need to cool on the baking sheet and you don't want them to stick!
2. Combine all the dry ingredients except oats in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a mixer, cream the brown sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the oats.
5. Using a tablespoon size scoop, place evenly size dough balls on parchment paper. Allow room for the cookies to spread.
6. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet.
While the cookies cool, make the cream filling.
1. In a large stand mixer, cream the shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
2. Add the marshmallow cream and mix until well combined.
3. Place cream mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large tip.
Fill the cookies.
1. Turn half of the cookies over. On the inside of the cookie, pipe the cream filling starting on the outside edge, and pipe in a circular pattern until you reach the middle.
2. Place another cookie on top and press slightly.
3. Repeat for all cookies.
Makes 10 Oatmeal Cream Pies.
This post linked to: Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies