As I mentioned in my last post I have been hungry for Hamburger Helper. And while I loved that recipe, it didn't satisfy my Hamburger Helper craving. This recipe did! Matt told me a couple of years ago that he doesn't like Hamburger Helper. I have always assumed it was because I wore him out with it during our early days of marriage!
My two boys LOVED LOVED this! I could hardly believe how much they ate! A definite 5 star recipe rating from them! Matt didn't rate it as high, he said it needed some kick. Which turns out is his same complaint with boxed Hamburger Helper (I never knew that was the reason he didn't like Hamburger Helper!) If you are looking for a wonderful Hamburger Helper tasting meal without all the added preservatives and other nasty hard to pronounce stuff make this right away! You won't be disappointed!
Triple Cheese Baked Beefaroni Source: One Crazy Cookie
1 pound penne pasta or pasta of your choice
1 cup minced onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 pound hamburger
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth (I used beef)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 3/4 cups beef or chicken broth (I used beef)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cook pasta until tender but firm. Drain and set aside.
3. Make the meat sauce: Brown hamburger with the garlic and onion. Stir in the pasta sauce and 1/2 cup broth. Simmer for 10 minutes of until thickened. Set aside.
4. Make the cheese sauce: Whisk flour, milk and 1 3/4 cup broth in a nonstick pan until smooth. Place over medium heat and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. (Be careful here, I put a lid on the pot, which of course resulted in the pot boiling over :) Reduce heat and continue to cook, for five minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese until it is all melted. Remove from heat.
5. Combine the cheese sauce and meat sauce. Add the pasta. Pour everything into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
*I didn't actually bake this because I didn't want to turn on the oven on a nice day! I just sprinkled the Parmesan on top and served it straight from the pot :)